!!! Update: Cornish College workshop is now sold out !!!
Summer music camp for teens, seniors and everyone inbetween!!
Cornish College of the Arts, Dhrupad workshop, June 24-28 (5 days)
Ages: 12 and above. Note: Ages 8-11 may attend if accompanied by an adult attendee.
Enjoy singing with your peers guided by fantastic teacher!!! Have fun while learning a lot about one of the world’s most ancient styles of music!! Do this at a premier Seattle arts college!! Spend time with a world renowned artist! Show off your learning with a performance at the end of the week!
This 5 day comprehensive introduction to Dhrupad will be taught by Pandit Ramakant Gundecha, of Gundecha Brothers fame, and by Jeff Lewis, senior disciple of Ustad Z. M. Dagar and an established Rudra Veena player and teacher. It is offered by Cornish College and is part of the College’s Summer Music program.
This workshop is for:
- – Individuals who have never sung before: That’s right – there are no prerequisites!*
- – Current Dhrupad learners: who would like to enhance their knowledge and ability with a focused week immersed in Dhrupad
- – Students and practitioners of just about any classical music: Students of any classical music will benefit from the knowledge imparted in this workshop, and will greatly benefit from the voice training aspect, as the Gundecha Brothers are known for their superb voice culture.
- –Vocalists or instrumentalists: While the workshop is a vocal workshop, the background knowledge and techniques imparted apply to instrumentalists.
*If the skill level of participants varies greatly, the class will be split into 2 groups for some sessions.
This workshop provides an opportunity to:
- – Spend a summer week learning from a world renowned artist, who is an engaging and effective teacher.
- – Experience what an arts college could be like and build contacts.
- – Gain stage experience by performing at the end of the week.
The workshop is limited to 15 participants, so sign up now!!
To sign up, visit: Singing Indian Classical Music – Dhrupad
Video from a previous workshop
See video of a workshop taught in Italy by Padmashri Gundecha Brothers
Workshop, Bologna, 2003
Performance by workshop attendees